RV Suspension Upgrade Part 1 - How to install Hellwig anti sway bars


By on Thursday, May 26, 2011


So what happens when you put a 30+ foot house on a Ford truck chassis, then load it up with people, a generator, water, appliances, furniture, food to last a month, and other stuff? The result is an uneven heavy RV that doesn't handle very well. To accommodate the odd extra loads, the suspension and front tires have to work extra hard to keep the RV stable. This is especially true for longer class-c RVs such as mine.


I've found that many life-long RVers, who have owned multiple RVs, make it a priority to evaluate and improve the suspension components in their RV shortly after buying it. The stock shock absorbers, anti-sway bars and steering stabilizers can all be upgraded to heavy duty components that are better suited for the RV application. The results can be dramatic and make driving your RV a more pleasurable, relaxing and safer experience.



In part one of this two part video, I'll replace my RV's stock front anti-sway bar with a heavy duty upgrade. I chose to go with anti-sway bars from Hellwig for this project. There is no jacking up, drilling or special tools involved. I was able to complete the job using basic wrenches and ratchet hand tools. In a future video post I'll replace the rear anti-sway bar and have my shocks upgraded.

Keep reading: Part II of this project (Replacing the rear anti-sway bar)

2 comments :

  1. Just finished installing both the front and rear sway bars on a 2007 E450 Chassis. Your videos were great as the installation instruction are not that great.

    Rear Swaybar install took 1 1/2 hours beginning to end.
    Front Sway bar install took 2 1/2 hours due the poor printed instruction and a pausing to watch your video twice to get hints on what I was not doing right.

    I used a 4 wheel dolly with some of the shipping container foam packing support the rear sway bar and a stack of plastic wheel levelers to support the front sway bar while I made the initial bolt-up to the frame.

    Hellwig's printed Instructions were not very good and leave some items to figure out on your own such as (Front Sway Bar) the lock nut and frame bracket nut are 3/4" which has no Torque value, so I used the 5/8 120 ft lbs value.
    The E450 chassis nut are 15mm have no torque value listed so I used the 1/2 inch nut torque value.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you're thinking. I welcome your comments. Thanks -Tito

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...