Men with DIY skills with be extinct by 2048


By on Thursday, May 05, 2011

Say what! A recent study claims that 71% of men in the 1970s learned DIY skills from their fathers. They learned how to use power tools, build stuff and perform routine home maintenance. The research shows that today only 44% of men will learn how to do it themselves.

"Pay attention son"
73% of men age 55 to 65 claim to have the skills to do it themselves compared to the 55% of men under 35 who could. And it gets worse...only 32% of men 25 and under were handy around the house. But say you need help hooking up your HDTV. Not a problem right?

Say hello to the Techno-Sexual Man. The study claims that "men increasingly view technology as essential to their masculinity, resulting in the rise of a new generation of 'techno-sexual' men. Researchers found that 'being knowledgeable about technology' was the most important quality for men to feel masculine, whereas DIY skills were fourth behind being successful in their chosen career and being a competent driver."

I say why not master both power tools and technology? It goes without saying that computer-based technology has become a significant part of our lives. After all you're reading this on your computer right? So having technical skills are indeed essential for the modern man. But c'mon guys let's keep DIY alive.

As for me, I would much rather learn how to do it myself and learn how to do it right (that the important part). If I can't, then I'll hire someone and look over their shoulder. I'll do my best to pass what I know on to my son.

~T

3 comments :

  1. Tito:

    I'm contemplating installing a roof-mounted solar panel with a voltage regulator inside. I'd love to do it myself, to save the $$ and to help me learn how it works for subsequent debug. BUT -- it is a brand-new trailer (27-foot Komfort Trailblazer) and I don't see how the wiring is to be run, where to cut in, how to install the controller, how to get from the controller to the battery, etc. I've crawled all over that trailer and DYI looks like a good way to make some very expensive learning mistakes. Convince me I'm being too cautious and should just start cutting away ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. EDM.

    You're right to be cautious before cutting away at your new trailer. In my experience, the vast majority of effort spent on DIY projects has been in the research and planning stage. What size solar panel and charge controller do you really need? How does your current inverter and electrical system work? How will your panel be mounted to the roof? What are all the tools and materials needed? All of these things should be figured out before hand.

    Your preparation might also include getting some expert advice. Only when you're comfortable in your ability to do the job right would I recommend you proceed. It's also important to know your limitations. Some jobs are best left to the professionals.

    An alternative might be to get a portable solar panel kit with charge controller that you can hook up when needed and stow away when not. The wiring will be minimal and won't require cutting into the trailer.

    Good luck!

    ~T

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really, eye opening facts and figures for me. Hello people, we need balance in this area. This is not a welcome change.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you're thinking. I welcome your comments. Thanks -Tito

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...